Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Tired, But With a Good Endng

I had a good night at work. Rather, a good morning, because the good stuff didn't happen until about 7am. First, Ernie (Travelodge owner) was reading a Fargo Forum in the lobby, and pointed this article out to me.
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=121914&section=News
I had loaned a couple of graphic novels to his girlfriend (she's a librarian who advocates the use of historical graphic novels as teaching tools) last time she was up. She was just going to peruse them, but Ernie said the more she looked at them, the more she had to read them. So, score 2 for me & comics. Take that, Frederic Wertham!

I noticed a familar name on our guest list last night. This morning, as I had hoped, Sarge rounded the corner and almost did a double-take when he saw me. I hadn't seen him in 3 years, and the last time I saw him (Kevin & April's wedding), he looked aged, so I was a little nervous about seeing our favorite instructor who hollered at us endlessly looking old and haggard. I was surprised as hell to see he actually looked a little younger.
Every year, cadets would hear rumors that Sarge was retiring, and every year, he would kind of just look at you and say, "I don't know," or something vague, so you knew he never would. Well, straight from his mouth, I can definitively say Sarge has officially retired as of last year passing his legacy on to Sgt. Moser from Camp Grafton. He bought a farmstead in Minnewaukan, and he now bartends at the DL VFW. No wonder the age lift, he works in a bar patronized by other vets, and he has a big yard to play in. I introduced him to a couple of our staff as "Sarge", and he told them that I was part of the group that took the spirit of ROTC with them when we all left. Oh, by the way, Kevin and April, he says "hey". He sounded really happy to see me and to hear you guys are doing good.
Ok, so it sounds a little cheesy, but I don't care, it was worth it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

You were supposed to say, "After April, Kevin, and I left, ROTC sucked ass." Isn't that basically what he meant? That after your group was gone there was basically no point in having ROTC because everyone who joined later didn't really care and sucked big balls and didn't have the skills for it? Yup, that's what you should have said. ;)

6:28 PM  
Blogger April said...

Yeah, I totally feel the same way. I don't think it was crap RIGHT after we left, because the year below me was great and full of spirit, but I do think ROTC took a tumble a year or so after my class graduated, its like no one really understood the whole program that well, and people looked at it as a sluff class. It makes me somewhat satisfied to hear that Sarge feels the same way. Did you know that they don't even have a drill team any more... that is just sad, that was my FAVORITE thing in HS, I loved Drill Team and I love how we totally rocked at it! Did you also know that they lost the star two years after we left, they couldn't pass the inspection, and lost the star, they also lost the brass because idiots were using them in the pop machine as quarters (who knew) so now they only have "ROTC" pins.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

Sounds like the people after you guys were complete idiots.

12:48 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

They've been doing that with the brass every year. Sarge brought it up to me once, asking if I could think of who would be doing it. It must have just gotten way out of hand.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<