Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

A Medical Conundrum

First off, thanks to everyone for their comments and advice on Karissa's blog about Isabella's ear situation. It's given us a bit more to think about.
Right now, we're leaning toward the tubes. My sister and brother in law swear chiropractics helped my niece with her problem, and so far as I know, she hasn't been back (she's now 13). However, most people I've heard of going to chiropractors and who swear by them have been going for months or years.
Our hospital experience with Isabella hasn't been much, but what it has been involved check-ups and reassurances that Isabella is developing properly, not constant treating for problems.
I'm still trying to make head or tails from a lot of the info I've read, and unfortunately, I've come middle road on a lot of it. For starters, I can't seem to find a website that can compare chiropractics to medicine without name-calling. Frankly, if you're trying to extablish credibility in an adult professional setting (which is what I consider necessary for a medical website of any kind), words like "quackery" are not necessary. Neither is it necessary to slip in comments like "-but that's just plain wrong" with reference to a technique or philosophy. One website slammed chiropractics for its use and apparent belief in homeopathy, which is more or less simply a naturalistic antimedication philosophy of medicine.
Like I said, I'm middle road. I believe modern medicine relies too strongly on medications to quiet its patients, possibly fueling legal addictions and giving our doctors too easy of a way out (I also believe our drug companies are awfully big and strong in this counrty). I believe chiropractics relies too much on manual manipulation, and that it cures everything, basing their knowledge on outdated beliefs (like the existence of "subluxations"). I believe homeopathics works internally, but won't do you any good if you've got a broken foot. I haven't even begun to read on acupuncture yet, but I already don't like what I'm hearing about it.
So, as usual, more questions.

3 Comments:

Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Ok, so just out of curiosity, I've looked up acupuncture (I know it's off topic, it has nothing to do with Is's ear thing). Assuming (hypothetically) that it is a real healing method, how the fuck are acupuncturists supposed to find the meridians?? It's not like they can just see them pulsing on your back.
I could believe in this method more if it caused a release in lactic acid buildup in the muscles, but I've also read that's not believed to be a factor in muscle soreness anymore.
I also read that the first known record of acupuncture is about 4700 years old. I'm sorry, but ancient Chinese medical texts were much heavier on the spiritual side, and notoriously ignorant of human physiological function. The Chinese should be more medically known for their advances in forensics, not healing medicine.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

i think it's all bullshit...

10:34 PM  
Blogger April said...

I think you just wanted to use the word conundrum.

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<